This is a truly one-of-a-kind job offer. Organic Farm New Zealand (OFNZ) is located on a remote private estate located in the world-famous Fiordland region, a 30-minute drive from the nearest town of Te Anau. Bio-gro certified since 2006, OFNZ produces high-end organic health foods and supplements primarily for export. As a lifestyle brand, OFNZ products are sold direct to consumer, as an essential part of an overall organic and healthy lifestyle.
We are looking to hire a full-time gardener to manage our onsite organic gardens, currently two large tunnel houses (10.65x30 metres each) and a four large outdoor beds, with expansion plans in place to significantly increase the number of beds each year. We primarily grow fruits, vegetables and spices in both summer and winter seasons, with an onsite food production facility to process the raw ingredients harvested.With a large emphasis on research and development, we are constantly looking to develop new, advanced recipes and products to further support the health and wellbeing of our customers.
Duties & responsibilities
• Planning and coordinating the production and crops in both summer and winter seasons, from soil preparation to harvest - taking into account environmental, climate and budgeting factors as well as organic standards.
• Sourcing and planting seeds, seedlings and bulbs, and grafting new varieties to root stocks
• Maintaining crop production by cultivating, de-budding and pruning, and maintaining optimal growing conditions
• Directing and overseeing general farming activities such as composting, fertilising and pest and weed control
• Maintaining and evaluating records of farming activities, planning crop preparation and production to meet contract requirements• Problem solving, when required, including sourcing seeds and seedlings, analyzing and treating soil imbalances, pest control, maximizing output and production numbers, etc.
• Managing certain aspects of food processing and packaging, as well as transport to third party production facilities
• Work on the cutting edge of organic practices and development of high impact healthy foods and supplements.
• Small to medium size operation allows for in-depth experience in all aspect of production management and food processing practices, with greater possibility for taking on responsibilities and room for creative input.
• Extraordinary working environment, on 1050 hectare organic property, surrounded by 2.6 million hectares of untouched, virgin forests.
• If relocating to Te Anau, we can provide support for all aspect of moving logistics. Te Anau is an up and coming community, with excellent land and home values and an ideal environment for young couples, families and recent graduates.
• Competitive salary, negotiated according to experience and qualifications.
- Relevant qualification(s)
- Minimum 1 years’ gardening and / or production management experience
- Recent graduates (or current students) welcome to apply
- Interest in organic practices and healthy food production
- Full valid Driving License
- Handy-man and / or mechanic skills (desirable, not required)
- Strong work ethic with an attention to detail
- Flexible & positive
- Highly responsible & able to work independently
- A passion to learn and desire to gain new experience and knowledge
- Ability to thrive living and working in a remote location
Joy Business Academy does more than just provide job opportunities. It’s our mission to bridge the skills gap by providing online courses that give you the skills you need. We work with learners, employers and businesses to unleash everyone's full potential out into the community.
79 St Georges Bay Rd, Parnell Auckland 1052